On behalf of the PE Department, I would like to confirm that lessons will resume for all year groups in September. As staff, we are looking forward to welcoming all pupils back to what we believe is a vital area of the curriculum in maintaining their health and wellbeing moving forward. Initially, lessons may not be exactly how pupils expect them to be or what they have previously been accustomed to, however, to ensure the risk to of Covid-19 transmission is kept to a minimum, certain changes to areas of the curriculum have been made, whilst others have been removed completely. As a department, we will be following the school’s health and safety guidance alongside the advice provided by the respective sporting governing bodies to ensure the safety of our pupils in relation to Covid-19.
We politely request that the points below are followed when school commences in September:
- If your child is unable to participate in the lesson, could you please contact pupil reception or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org before 8:40am on the day of the lesson at the latest. This will replace the previous requirement to bring a written note until further notice. (As per usual, there will still be an expectation on pupils who are excused from the practical element of the lesson to contribute by coaching, officiating etc).
- As you are aware, the school is returning to its usual uniform policy from September and this is also the case in PE. On the day of the PE lesson, pupils will be allowed to come to school in their PE kit as changing facilities will not be available. Pupils may want to bring spare socks/footwear should they feel the need.
- White school polo shirt OR maroon school rugby jersey
- Black school shorts, skort, leggings or black tracksuit bottoms
- School jumper, Maroon school hoody (available from the uniform shop), or a school hoody obtained for previous school trips/activities
- Maroon school rugby socks/black sports socks
- Appropriate trainers
- In terms of the activities that pupils will experience in the first instance, those that allow for easy social distancing will take priority on the curriculum. Weather dependent, the intention is to conduct as many practical lessons as possible outdoors. Initially, there will be no contact sports. Those activities that do take place will be carried out relative to the guidance of the school Covid-19 policies and the respective governing body road maps to return to sport.
- Unfortunately, there will be no extra-curricular sport and fixtures against other schools will not take place until further notice. Furthermore, the department facilities will not be available at lunchtime and equipment cannot be borrowed by any pupils
PE Kit – September 2020 (until further notice)
As has been the case throughout the pandemic, everything is very much a step into the unknown, but as I have previously stated, our priority is the wellbeing of all members of the school community. I hope that we can rely on your support over the coming months.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. Kind regards
Mr I Poley
(Acting Head of Physical Education)